Friday, March 17, 2017

The Value of Black and White - Off the Wall Friday

Final Crop
I want to say a big thank you for all the comments and suggestions last week on which sign to pick.  Smart move of the month?  Ask women smarter than yourself for their opinion.

 So I especially want to give thanks to Glen, who said  " I would crop a bit further even." She was right of course - they needed to be cropped MORE.

Margaret, who said, " I think they must be very challenging to crop, because our brains don't want us to leave out any of the lettering...so we focus on keeping that in the picture instead of cropping for shape."  

O-M-G!! How smart are they??  So did end up going back - cropping for shape & composition.  The lesson is on value so I really needed to make sure I included enough areas to play with value a little.

Work in Progress
Once the crop was done properly, the lesson itself wasn't too hard.

  We are to use a monochromatic palette of black.  To tell you the truth, I really should have had this done last weekend.  What I ran into trouble is that, I just don't like fusing patterns down perfectly.  I don't think I have the "precise" gene one needs for that kind of work.  Also, I'm not thrilled with working with fusibles.  I know they are perfect for this kind of project.  But spending an afternoon glueing your piece down is NOT fun to me.  Once the drawing was done, values of the fabrics picked out - it was like all the fun stuff was complete and I just had to glue it all down.  Sighhhhh - I know - I'm whining!!

What I did have fun with was delving into the world of high contrast fashion in my research for this project.  Who knew it was such a trend?!!  Mixing patterns of black and white is VERY now - VERY in.  It does make for interesting outfits!!

So I'll buckle down and finish this up!!  Thanks again for all the help everyone!!

So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?

5 comments:

Jenny K. Lyon said...

I am really loving this one-I can't wait to see it finished!

Shannon said...

I love seeing your progress! One of my favorite celebrities who was on the red carpet a bunch this awards season was Janelle Monae. She is known for fabulous high fashion black and white looks. The fashion bloggers Tom and Lorenzo have a great archive of her looks if you want some more inspiration.

http://tomandlorenzo.com/?s=janelle+monae

Linda A. Miller said...

love your choice! Looking forward to watching it develop.

Turtlemoonimpressions said...

This is so cool! Love seeing it come together.

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

I love this! The cropping is genius, and I love the monochromatic palette. I agree - once the design and fabric selections are done, it would be wonderful if the fusing fairies would visit and do the boring part.