Friday, March 6, 2015

Reality Check . . . . . Design Wall Friday


Well this week, I had a Reality Check and realize I wasn't going to get this piece done in time for Sacred Threads.  sighhhhhhhh.  Its not like me to miss a deadline when I get it in my head to make it.  I'm such a task oriented person, that I can get a little anal.  But this week, I remembered that my Word for the 2015 was CONSUMMATE to finish with excellence, to bring to a state of perfection.  So rushing this process is counterproductive to where I wanted to go this year.

Tooooo Muddy!!
Case in point is the last swish of yellow.  It was suppose to be dark yellow, but it came out just a medium yellow - not giving me the contrast in value the design called for.  So I took some good advice and used a Dy-na-flow brown wash and gave it a quick paint job!  Good idea right?!  Nope  - too muddy now.  Not only did it change the value of the Swish - it changed the saturation.  So what is a girl to do?  Yep!  Re-piece that part which - of course - worked perfectly.  Still all of that took a whole morning.

Much Better!







But with two long studio days, I did manage to get the top done and trash my studio in the process.  I mean there were scraps EVERYWHERE.  Its amazing how many little bits of yellow, pink, and turquoise can be in one little space.  So decided to give it a good clean - put away all the fabric and get ready for the layering process.

With the studio all cleaned for the first time in three months, it seemed to focus me.  I'm really looking forward to getting some quilting lines in on this!!

It seems like this project is dragging, but the reality is that its only been 8 weeks from idea to top and that's not all that bad for a 65" by 48"  piece.  The one thing is that is nice is that it totally skipped the "OMG this sucks" phase.  I can truly say that its exactly what I had in mind when I settled on a the design and palette.

So what have been up to creatively?

13 comments:

LA Paylor said...

Nina- Marie
I love it. Love love love
I love a big mix of fabrics creating color so this is just my thing. Very good work. I am especially glad to hear a person can skip the "it sucks" portion of the process. LeeAnna

The Inside Stori said...

I admire your tenacity!!! Worth all you've gone through.....the quilt is smashingly wonderful!

Kaja said...

I love this too - using little scraps like that is such a clever idea, creates so much movement and variety within each band of colour. And well done for sticking with your word of the year and not rushing it.

Anonymous said...

It is fantastic. And it has been interesting follow how you made it - and surely will be until it is finished.
It seems your OMG has been replaced with thoughtful decisions of what to change - and how.
I'll be back next week....

quiltedfabricart said...

Such a complex piece! To bad you will miss the deadline but understandable - so much work in this. You can always enter it next year - pressure is off, relax and enjoy the process :-)

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry about missing the deadline! But your top is truly glorious- the colors and design just sing. Good luck with the quilting!

Karen S said...

Love this quilt. I share your frustration with getting things finished. It's been an ongoing issue with me for a year. First time I've shared with you in about that long -- hope 2015 will be way more productive!

Vicki W said...

I think your piece is looking fantastic!

Afton Warrick said...

Good for you, being true to your process. I find that my quilts always take longer, and make a bigger mess than I was expecting --- every time. Don't stress the deadline; maybe this quilt is destined for a different contest. It'll do well, especially since you took the time to make it just right.

Afton Warrick said...

Good for you, being true to your process. I find that my quilts always take longer, and make a bigger mess than I was expecting --- every time. Don't stress the deadline; maybe this quilt is destined for a different contest. It'll do well, especially since you took the time to make it just right.

Anonymous said...

It is looking so good now! It has evolved wonderfully.

Maggi said...

You were so right not to rush to get it entered. If you are enjoying the process then the finished result will give you so much more satisfaction. Anyway, there will be other shows if you want to enter it.

Turtlemoonimpressions said...

It's going to be worth every extra minute you put into it!I've recently made the same vow to myself - no more rushing to the finish line!