Friday, October 31, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop - Off the Wall Friday

Better Late than Never - I submit my post on the - "Around the World Blog Hop".  I apologize to Gurli Gregersen that I'm late AND I couldn't find a blogger who wanted to be my next stop (read fail!) - but its not a bad idea to share where I am at this point in my creative journey.


So what am I working on?


OMG - the better question is what aren't I working on?

I'm finishing up my year long master class with Elizabeth Barton which has left me exhausted happily filled with so many ideas and new concepts that my head wants to burst.

I want to continue my exploration of the abstract - especially this whole curve idea.  I love, love, love working big, playing with color and value.   I can easily  see that's where my work is going over the next few months.

Sacred Threads is coming up and I need to get my piece done for that since spiritual communication is near and dear to this God's Girl's heart!




How does my work differ from others in the genre?


Well if you'd had asked me a few months ago I would say - it doesn't.  I didn't think I was doing anything special.  Little did I know that a large part  of textile artists had move to collaging and fusing their work.  I like to piece and applique with little or no fusing.  I like to plan before I do a piece and pretty much never work intuitively.

Why do I create?


Why doesn't everyone? I just thought it was a part of life  - like eating. (except with fewer calories and better gadgets)   I can't imagine how people get through life without creating something.  Maybe those are the mean people.

How does my creative process work?

  • Get idea  - from anywhere and everywhere
  • Plan, plan, plan some more 
  • Realize those plans suck  - throw them out
  • Plan all over again
  • Pick a palette, block out idea
  • Realize it sucks, whine on blog about it
  • Rip apart - add to scrap pile
  • Put on big girl panties and make it work
Hmmmm - maybe I should write a book about the process - LOL!!

 side note - Tessa reminds me that they don't sell big girl panties at Walmart - you need to dig deep and find them for yourself!

So sorry that my blog hop doesn't hop somewhere - but if any blogger on OTWF  who wants to continue the hop - please let me know and I'll post a link here!  Email me!

So what have you been up to creatively?


3 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Thanks for sharing you "process" !! It is much like mine with all the whining and tearing up of stuff.

But I especially like the info bout the big girl panties!!!

Maggi said...

An interesting insight into your creative life. I'm a fuser but I know it's not for everyone and piecing and appliqué give an entirely different look anyway.

Marilyn Wall said...

Nina, I just tried to link up for my blog post and it says it is closed. Can you help?