Friday, December 13, 2013

Got Class? Off the Wall Friday

As the year end approaches, it has me thinkin' about what classes I want to take in 2014.  I don't know about you, but I love to learn and since I love to quilt, I love to learn about quilting.  In fact, I would much rather spend a week at a good in - depth class at a quilt conference  than go to a fancy- smacy vacation spot. (Well, at least all those that don't end with the phrase - Resort and Spa).

Over the years, I've tried all sorts of class.  I quickly out grew the quilting classes at my local quilt shop.  Not only were they mostly teaching the basics but they were also project based.  I started going to Quilting by the Lake in Syracuse, NY.  They would bring in national teachers and dedicate two weeks every July to art quilting and surface design.  After nearly 15 years, I was looking for a bit of change - hence my summer trip to Arrowmont in Gatlinburg, Tenn.  Wow!  That was one of my better decisions.  It really was a week that I will remember for a lifetime.

So now how do I follow that?  I decided to make another change. I'm going to try Quilt Surface Design Symposium (QSDS) that resides in Columbus, Ohio.  This offers a bit of a change  from others that I've taken.  First of all, its right at a campus in the heart of the city.  Classes run for the full two week including weekends.  And its closer to home!  With that all in mind, I've decided to take Sue Benner's Master Class.  Its running 7 full days - you can work on whatever you want and where your quilt journey has taken you andddddddddd I've only heard great things concerning the teacher.  What more could you want?


Still that isn't enough for me.  No!  I'm one of the lucky ones that got a spot in Elizabeth Barton's recently announced year long online Master class.  My mother generously gifted me the tuition $$ (Thanks Ma!) so that I can spend the year taking up the challenges that Elizabeth throws our way.  I like taking online classes with her.  She meticulously plans out her exercises and lectures and is generous with her one on one help.  Plus you get to work in your own studio with all your favorite stuff around you.  The one thing is that you need to stay focused and self disciplined.  Harder then it looks when the your home life keeps trying to hone in on your studio time.  I'm glad Elizabeth will be there to crack the whip.  You never want for something to do when Elizabeth is your teacher - grin!

Anyways,   with all that a-waiting me  - 2014 is looking pretty darn exciting.

So what are you up to creatively?

10 comments:

Julia Graber said...

It's so great that you can take extended classes to learn more in your quilting art. I continue to enjoy your work.

Marilyn Wall said...

Wow Nina Marie sounds like you are going to be busy. I would love to take Elizabeth's year long class but beside the fact that it's full this year is just tooooo busy for me. Have fun!

The Inside Stori said...

After 25+ years of BEING THE TEACHER.....I too am considering a fresh look at this fascinating fiber art world and may explore an organized workshop. Though, I'm so fortunate to have such a fabulous group of gal pals here in my own backyard who are totally into mini retreats where we share out talents with each other....learning on the way.

Margaret said...

So many people have spoken about Ms. Barton that I really must take one of her online classes soon! However, in January, I'm signed up to take "On Contrast" with Pamela Allen, on line. She's one of my fave teachers and I've had the delight of taking a 2-day workshop with her in person. Also have her DVD, "Think Like An Artist". :-)

Linda M said...

I rarely take classes, but I would love to take a class from either one of those artists. I expect to see some incredible work from you in the next year.(No pressure :-) )

janice pd said...

I'm on the waiting list for Elizabeth's class. I am also considering SQD! Its a great time to take this kind of inventory of where we are and where we would like to be.

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

Nina: sounds like a great program. The commitment will really make it worthwhile and will allow you time to think more deeply. Thanks for sharing all this!

Nina Marie said...

Okay - here is the secret of the day - I browsed through Elizabeth's blog and immediately emailed to say I would join the Master's class - THEN - 24 hrs later - read all the requirements - and thought - OMG - that is a ton of work. My first thought was - well at least I'll have something to post on OTWFridays - LOL!!!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Nina Marie. Finally found a moment to stop by. It's certainly a good time to take stock. Your year sounds so exciting, and what teachers you've lined up! I sort of gave up on classes a while ago because I found they intruded on my own work and I really do like to figure things out for myself--more adventure that way. However, I do follow Jude Hill's Diaries, which is not invasive and helps me analyze my own processes.
Just wanted to congratulate you for a year well done ; your organization of "Off the Wall Friday" is much appreciated. May you have a happy holiday season with your loved ones!
best, nadia

Vera Holmgren said...

It looks to me that you will have a buzy but wonderful year! I'm so glad I read about Academy of Quilting on the web and saw that Elizabeth Barton had an online class "Dyeing to Design". I have already registred for it and it will start Jan 3.