Friday, December 14, 2012

Rituals. . . . Off the Wall Fridays

Well, since my sewing room is still under siege from the barrage of Christmas, I thought I would share with you a treasure I recently discovered.  A recent discussion on the Quitart list lead me to  browse the independent book making site, BlurbWhat???  I didn't know that they had this great site where you could make any book you want and then put it up for people to buy.  Who knew??  Upon exploration, I found the exhibition catalog Rituals  by Lois Bogue curated by Jamie Fingal and Leslie Tucker Jenison.

Rituals was a juried invitational exhibition given this year at Huston.  The curators write, "Each quilt measures 24" wide by 60" long.  The size unifies the body a of work that showcases a wide interpretation of "rituals".  42 artists, amazing, diverse, and unique in their work have been accepted into this exhibit."

With all there was to see, this was the exhibit I wanted to see the most.  Alas, though, with funds and time limited that wasn't possible.  So you can imagine my surprise to find this great little book (7" by 7") at Blurb for the affordable price of $24.95 (plus I had a black friday code which made it cheaper!) 

And, boy was it worth the $$$!!  It has 100 pages filled with amazing art work and inspiration.  Each of the 42 artist was given two pages - one that has their exhibition entry (and close up) and one that has them answering a set of  interesting questions.  Of course, I'm familiar with many of the artists and their work but this book gives me unique glimpses into what drives them.

I just love this little book and I'm sure I'll find myself thumbing through it all through the Christmas holiday.

Ohhh and if you want to learn more about this great exhibit and artists - you can visit their blog, Dinner at Eight Artists.  Also there are more photos and insights into this special book at my friend, SewCalGal's blog (who obtained copyright permission),

Andddddd  If you'd like a chance to enter my great giveaway of Dupioni silk scraps and funky bookmarkers  there's still time to enter my give away drawing - which is this Sunday.

So what have you been up to creatively?!?

7 comments:

Kit Lang said...

I have that book too, and love it!

janice pd said...

It was one of my favorite exhibits at Festival.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Nina Marie. Thank you for your invitation. For some reason, it's much easier to join in the fun from the Snippets blog than from MulticoloredPieces. Looking forward to following your quilting adventures! And have a happy holiday season.
best from Tunisia,
nadia

bohemiannie! art said...

A friend of mine...in FL...brought a book that she'd had published through Blurb to show to a group and we all went gaagaa over it! They did a brilliant job. I've saved their link somewhere on my desktop but really happy for the reminder here today.

bohemiannie! art said...

PS...I've included my 'Quilting Gallery' post because it's the latest creative-driven, WIP, art quilt, etc post that I have!

Barb Forrister said...

What a wonderful review, Nina! Have to say, I am just a little bit biased. Loris did a fantastic job and I love the small size. So easy to carry! This year's Rituals exhibit is my favorite so far.

Unknown said...

Man, I would love to have that book. I follow most of the artists that are included in it and they do amazing work!