Friday, December 21, 2012

Redwork Design - Off the Wall Friday

I bet you didn't know this, but this fall I took a job taking phone orders for a great clothing catalog/website called Appleseeds.  I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I really do since its low stress and I get to help ladies put together their orders all day.  One of the things I've learned is that calls might come in one after another or you might have a few minutes in between.

Vintage Tin by Crabapple Hill Studio
So I thought instead of sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting for calls (or doodling like I've been doing - but that's another post!), I would take up a new sewing project.  But what??  I needed something that was low maintenance, handwork, and something that I could pick up and put down easily.  Redwork popped into my mind.  I've always wanted to do a rework project and have numerous patterns here.  Still once I started looking through them, I've kinda out grown all of them.

So I started looking online and OMG there is a ton of gorgeous patterns out there and several clever designers.  On of the ones that I liked the most was Crabapple Hill Studio.  I like how they mixed the old with a bit of a new flare.  Also I liked how they incorporated traditional quilt piecing to enhance the redwork.  So with a little nudge from my friend Julie, I thought - Hey - Why can't I design my own??  So that's what I've been doing the last couple of days.  I don't have enough to show right now - since I'm still kinda just trying out ideas but as soon as I get one I'm sticking with  I'll show ya!

So what have you been up to creatively???


7 comments:

bohemiannie! art said...

That IS a beautiful pattern. I'm finished with my 'must do' projects and think I'll spend the next few days just playing with my 5yo granddaughter.

Susan Lenz said...

Can't wait to see your new design!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Nina Marie. You're so right to design your own. Looking forward to seeing how it will turn out. And thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I had of course completely forgotten it was Friday as my days look pretty much the same (the advantage of no longer having kids around).
And a merry ho-ho-ho!
best, nadia

Sylvia said...

Good luck with the "red" work! Although I have done embroidery over the years, recently a small group here did redwork for the raffle quilt. I have to confess, my block sucked big time. Maybe it had been too long since the last time I stitched.

Anonymous said...

Embroidery is one of those skills that I work on from time to time. Thanks for showing us your plan and for sharing the catalog link. I used to be connected to them... don't know where I lost them. Good luck with combining the old style with another style... I like to do that with Hawaiian designs. Thanks for creating OTWF - it's always inspiring and, Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Really cool! Thanks for re-opening so I could get mine up.

Living to work - working to live said...

Ah ha - I understand! My day job is too full on so no chance for any thing like this. I do sometimes travel though and that gives me the opportunity to pop into galleries or shops etc. that I might not otherwise visit.